Scaladoc - choose the order in which members are listed

Hi,

Is there a way to specify the order in which (type and value) members are listed in the scaladoc?

Using @group annotations already helps a lot structuring a scaladoc.
But inside a given group, members are listed alphabetically (first types, and then values).

Instead, I would like them to be listed in the same order as in the source code.
Is there any (maybe undocumented) option to pass to scaladoc (sbt doc) to achieve this?
I couldn’t find such a thing in the “Scaladoc for Library Authors” guide.

The typical usecase is the scaladoc of a sealed trait + case classes and objects. I would like the trait to appear before all subclasses and objects.

Thanks

I found a workaround.
It is not fully satisfactory, but I choose to share it here anyway, in case someone faces the same problem.
Better solutions and suggestions still welcome!

The trick is to use “phantom groups” – just made the term up – to create sub-groups.

A phantom group has a @groupname that is not visible in the scaladoc. For instance, the unicode ‘ZERO WIDTH SPACE’ character.
Then, use @groupdesc of a phantom group to explain what is the purpose of this sub-group.
Finally, use @groupprio to choose the order in which the groups and phantom groups will be displayed.

Complete working example is here (a preview is given below):

package example /** * @groupname t The type * @groupdesc t I want to display: * - the trait first, * - then (base objects), * - and then classes organized in categories * @groupprio t 1 * * @groupname cat1 \u200B * @groupdesc cat1 A base object extending that trait. * @groupprio cat1 2 * * @groupname cat2 \u200B * @groupdesc cat2 Then the first category of classes * @groupprio cat2 3 * * @groupname cat3 \u200B * @groupdesc cat3 Then the second category of classes * @groupprio cat3 4 * * @groupname t2 Another type -- for which I don't care * @groupprio t2 30 * */ package object docPhantomGroups { /** @group t */ sealed trait MyType /** @group cat1 */ final case object BaseObject extends MyType /** @group cat2 */ final case class Class(x: Int) extends MyType /** @group cat2 */ final case class SimilarClass(x: Int) extends MyType /** @group cat3 */ final case class AnotherClass(x: Int) extends MyType /** @group cat3 */ final case class YetAnotherClass(x: Int) extends MyType /** @group t2 */ sealed trait AnotherType }