Scala working directory

I installed Scala 2.13.1, and the installer set the Scala REPL home directory to G:\Users\MyName. There are 253 (mostly *.bat) files in that folder; it is much too cluttered for Scala examples.

How do I set the Scala REPL home directory to something like G:\Users\MyName\Scala?

Http://www.scala-lang.org says scala 2.13.2 is out. How do I update the Scala version after downloading the relevant *.msi or *.zip files? The instructions say to “Bump the scalaVersion setting in your sbt-based project?” How? They also say, “Obtain JARs via [Maven Central]”. Why would I want to do that?

All things considered, wouldn’t it be easier to uninstall Scala and SBT and just start over? I have only had version 2.13.1 for 3-4 days and run a few scripts from a book.

Thanks muchly in advance for your help.

How do I update the Scala version after downloading the relevant *.msi or *.zip files?

Choose the “Download a distribution from scala-lang.org” option instead of one of the other two options. Those other options are only relevant to those using build tools such as sbt or Gradle or Maven.

When using sbt or Gradle or Maven, you don’t need to have Scala installed systemwide at all. Instead, the build tool grabs any needed Scala JARs for you, the ones needed for the Scala version specified in the build, and uses them in that project only. So “bump the scalaVersion setting in your sbt-based project” isn’t advice about a systemwide version bump, it’s only advice about a version bump in that one build.

1 Like