Open Offer: Pair program with me

I wanted to try out an experiment: I’m going to offer to pair program with anyone in the scala community on anything. For ~an hour, I’ll work with you on whatever you want over google hangouts/ something else.

I’m happy to work on whatever you want.

Some examples of things to work on:

• Need help building your first api client for something using akka-http?
  • You want to get started using scalacheck?
  • Confused about cats-effects and want to work through an example?
  • Some implicit parameter resolution has you totally stumped and you can’t figure out why something isn’t compiling.

Who am I:

I’m Earl St Sauver, I’m the CTO of a startup that’s using Scala + ML and satellite imagery to deliver seed and fertilizer to rural Subsaharan african farmers on credit. I was a YC Fellow in 2015 and made the Forbes 30 under 30 last year. I’m definitely not the best programmer lurking these woods, but I don’t think I’ll waste your time.

Rules:

• Please let it be something you’re comfortable working on in public. I won’t sign an NDA and I want to be able to write about the problem we solve.
  • Don’t be an asshole.

How to sign up:

Send me an email at earl at apolloagriculture dot com with the subject line starting with “PAIR PROGRAMMING”. I’m in Amsterdam time so please propose a time that’s plausible for both of us and add a sentence or two about what you want to work on.

Why

I know Scala can be a hard language to get started in, and I want to do what I can to make the community a supportive place to learn. I believe a few hours a week collaborating with people outside my team will help me understand the problems people are repeatedly having.

A welcoming Scala community is a big community, and I want Scala to grow.

11 Likes

I think that is a really cool idea! I can’t think of anything I am working on that wouldn’t require an NDA though.