Learning Project Based Scala

Dear all, i just decide to add scala to my portfolio. I will appreciate a no-nonsense course that will force me to code extensively and build project. Thanks

There are a lot of online courses for Scala. https://www.coursera.org/specializations/scala#courses is where a lot of people start.

1 Like

Chapter 1 to 5 of the book “Hands-on Scala Programming” by Li Haoyi does a pretty nice job at explaining the basics of Scala, along with some exercises. He’s actually made them freely available here, though I’d encourage you to buy the book anyway.

1 Like

@anthony.cros I checked out the book but not sure if its Scala 3. Since i am new, i think learning Scala straight on will be much better. What do you think?

It’s not Scala 3 indeed. But something to bear in mind is that, as exciting as Scala 3 may be, Scala 2.13 will be around for a while until projects like Spark support it. And Spark is only just starting to support 2.13, so I imagine it’ll be quite a while before 3.0 is supported.

The other thing is that most of what’s in these chapters will still be applicable in Scala 3.0, so I still think it’s a very good place to start.

1 Like

Great. I am going for it then