Idiomatic Scala

What is (more) idiomatic in Scala:

1. val vBox: VBox = FXMLLoader.load(getClass.getResource("VBox.fxml"))
  2. val vBox = FXMLLoader.load[VBox](getClass.getResource("VBox.fxml"))

I don’t think there’s a clear answer. I would probably lean towards (1) personally, just because I find that type attribution often makes debugging a bit easier and code slightly easier to read, but both forms are totally common and reasonable…

The later is useful for quick hacking, experimenting. Maybe it’ll be thrown away with in 2 minutes of being written. Once code has a minimum level of stability then its generally nice and helpfully to ascribe types.

I think it is also a matter of personal /organisation / company taste. Some people value brevity more, some value precision, safety and documentation more. I think its good that Scala allows different styles of coding. I believe one of Scala’s initial goal was to appeal to Dynamic programmers, by offering similar conciseness but with Static safety and type inference.

I always supply type annotations for val and def (and you should too!) so 1 is the way I would write it.

I would go with +1 on 1.

Same reason we like:

List(1,2,3)

more than

List[Int](1,2,3)

There’s always a third option:

val vBox = FXMLLoader.load(getClass.getResource("VBox.fxml")): VBox

:stuck_out_tongue:

As for the original case, it depends. Second option is better if later you want to chain it with something else, e.g:

val vBoxAttribute = FXMLLoader
  .load[VBox](getClass.getResource("VBox.fxml"))
  .vBoxAttribute

But OTOH non-private object members should have explicit types, so if there is something like:

class Something {
  val vBox: VBox = ???
}
object Something {
  val vBox: VBox = ???
}

I wouldn’t hide the explicit type annotations of fields above.

1 Like