Are there special considerations for different pattern matching behavior when dealing with generic methods?

1 Like

You can use type ascription to circumvent some checks in Scala compiler but you’ll stumble upon other (which are pretty sensible this time):

sealed trait DSL[A] {
  def run(): A ={
    (this: DSL[_]) match {
      case GetLength(something) =>
        // type mismatch; found: Int;    required: A
        something.length
      case ShowResult(number) =>
        // type mismatch; found: String; required: A
        s"the length is $number"
    }
  }
}

case class GetLength(something: String) extends DSL[Int]
case class ShowResult(number: Int) extends DSL[String]

Overall the above code follows neither OOP nor FP idioms. A parent class (or trait) shouldn’t know implementation details about child classes (or traits). If you want OOP make def run() abstract. If you want FP put def run() into a companion object.

BTW:
This also fails to compile:

sealed trait DSL[A]

case class GetLength(something: String) extends DSL[Int]
  case class ShowResult(number: Int) extends DSL[String]

def run[A](fa:DSL[A]): A ={
    fa match {
        something.length
        fa match {
            // type mismatch; found: Int; required: A
            something.length
            s"the length is $number"
        }
    }
  }

@tarsa Thanks, I get what you mean. I am trying to understand the natural transformation in the free-monad which follows F[_] => G[_]. Not a real case that I want use for some design.

this can work like code outside the trait as a generic method, but I just curious why this not work like the way in the trait itself.

Is this a design consideration or a bug to behavior different in type argument?

seems something like this : https://gist.github.com/smarter/2e1c564c83bae58c65b4f3f041bfb15f

There’s nothing about pattern matching on this in that article.

Not sure :slight_smile: I would say the workaround (additional method to convert this to a method parameter) is simple and compact enough for people to not care about the original case. I think the way you described the problem originally suggest that it’s just you wondering how to do a thing instead of pointing a finger on a bug, hence the compiler guys skipped your request.