Any news on "Advanced Programming in Scala"?

I am reading “Programming in Scala” 5th Edition by Odersky, Spoon, Venners, Sommers and I am on Chapter 15. There are so many references to another book “Advanced Programming in Scala” promising further details on the subjects I just learned, which sounds really exciting. It’s probably not finished yet, I guess? I assume it would also be published by Artima. Any news on when it might become available? No info on Artima website.

9 Likes

Yes, it is in progress. We’ll be releasing a PrePrint soon. Sorry for the long delay between them.

14 Likes

No problem, thanks Bill! (I also sent some Errata for the 5th edition, I hope you got it OK.)

I think breaking it in to two books was a really good idea. I think it would be good if “Programming in Scala” became the base line for all advanced Scala books, so they didn’t have to keep repeating the same stuff over and over.

5 Likes

Define “soon”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would also be interested is reading this when it becomes available …

That was January and today, finishing May, no preprint at all.

The reality: Programming in Scala, Fifth Edition has more or less the same price as the fourth edition but half the content.

I’m sorry to be this harsh, because I’m sure this situation is not the one you want, but I feel very disappointed by it.

4 Likes

July now, also eagerly awaiting this book!

4 Likes

are you saying 4th edition is the better purchase?

No because one is about Scala 2.13 and the other one about Scala 3.

3 Likes

Yep, I was also expecting the companion book to be released pretty soon when I bought the 5th edition, based on this claim:

“The second volume, Advanced Programming in Scala , which will be released as a PrePrint™ soon, is a deep dive into advanced aspects of Scala 3.”

Maybe the authors could update the ETA, instead of simply indicating “soon” which has obviously been sort of lie :wink:

Anyway, looking forward to the 2nd volume!

It’s been 7 months since your message. Could you at least say whether or not soon is less or more than a year? :disappointed:

is there any progress? Lack of progress bar makes users upset – it would be better even there exists any news.

Sorry for the long wait, and lack of news. I am wrapping up a chapter on opaque types, which took a long time to write. I think we have enough to do a PrePrint, so I’ll try and get that out this month (in August, 2022), then set up a schedule for updates. I also have training materials that I have presented from which I can base the remaining unwritten chapters on, which mostly have to do with metaprogramming in Scala 3.

13 Likes

Thanks for the update Bill.

I personally think that it is more important to delay it and get it in the best possible state rather than releasing it half-baked to appease the masses. I can only imagine how hard it would be to put something like that into print and I applaud your effort. Looking forward to the unwritten chapters.

5 Likes

I’d like to say that also eagerly waiting for the book. Hope it comes out very soon :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

For anyone who did not notice yet, the preprint seems out since Sept 27 :partying_face:
https://www.artima.com/shop/advanced_programming_in_scala_5ed

11 Likes

yet a good news!

After read the table of content, it seems not introduce marco programming, it’s belong to " * The compile-time API" ?

A year ago i bought the preprint version, which is, according to the contents on the Artima website about 'half" of the final book. That first half was really good! I am really looking forward to the second half. Any info on its ETA?

3 Likes

Good news, finally we might be able to learn the top-secret dark art of meta-programming after all! :rofl:

2 Likes