NUM [is the right title but forum wants fifteen characters]

I guess they don’t announce “new user of the month” the way some communities celebrate those who are either dedicated or starved for attention. So I’ll share.

Congratulations, you’ve been awarded the New User of the Month award for August 2017. :trophy:

You’ve quickly become a valuable member of our community and everyone is really enjoying your posts.

(If you didn’t enjoy my posts, please don’t burst my bubble.)

Actually two people are awarded each month. I hope the other person comes forward, if that person is not actually a bot spamming the forum, or maybe she’s taking a little trip to celebrate.

Recently, the company gave out t-shirts while I was on vacation; I tried and failed to get one. I offered to stop by and pick it up. Luckily, Seth Tisue stepped in and sent me a Scala t-shirt. Someday I’ll still wear my Scala t-shirt (moth-eaten and ill-fitting by then) and remember getting new user of the month, and forget that I couldn’t get a company t-shirt, or which company.

My daughter wants to be a writer. I’m going to pass on the advice from the forum’s welcome bot:

Does the title sound interesting if you read it out loud? Is it a good summary?

Who would be interested in this? Why does it matter? What kind of responses do you want?

These are questions I can never answer to my satisfaction, but I hope others are undeterred.

I still remember watching that first video with Martin Odersky showing how in Scala you write 1/3 the boilerplate of Java. Now that new management is counting tickets and LOC, I realize how that doesn’t really help me. But I’m grateful to Scala for introducing me to a new way of thinking about computation and community.

1 Like

You’ll hate me, but by virtue of this post, I also earned the award, “First emoji.”

Somehow, “first emoji” is more emotional for me.

As I’ve never been user of any month whatsoever, but am also starved for attention, I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I recently became the first and only appreciated member. To all who appreciate me, I would like to say: You’re welcome!

1 Like

I guess that seems to be me. Hi!

I didn’t realize the badges are browsable.

No one has received “Higher Love” yet. I bet they’d generate more interest if they called it “Higher-Kinded Love.”

In future, I’ll try to show more appreciation.

@teozkr Glad to be in good company.