Using Scala logo on personal, non-commercial apparel

As per the subject, I have in mind a t-shirt which includes the Scala logo. The t-shirt is for myself and I have no intention of selling any. After reading about other uses of the logo here I am inclined to believe it’s ok but I would appreciate a yay or nay. The printing shop said no without approval. Thanks!

I don’t manage this, but did you already see Using Scala Logo and Make terms of logo use explicit · Issue #1040 · scala/scala-lang · GitHub ?

Thanks for the reply. Neither points to a clear-cut answer. Should I message Cunei in private?..

Toni isn’t involved anymore. You could try writing [email protected] (an address I got from Contact)

I think the community should have an opportunity to review any possible puns on apparel.

That’s where the real IP lies. For example, Scala 3 replaces the Scala 2 code base nearly wholesale, so obviously that is just software. The real value lies in the puns which express the intellectual capital of Dotty.

“IP” stands for “implicit puns”, on the theory that the DOT calculus establishes a series of punning implications which can be uncovered only through further research. We may envy those young researchers whose theses uncover them.

1 Like

I must admit I am a bit baffled by your concern. Do you really think anyone cares about one T-shirt with a logo?

Probably only one who is passionate about puns and about t-shirts cares about one t-shirt.

Also can I order one on kickstarter.

To be plain, I’m tongue-in-cheek, although I do love puns and t-shirts, and I do think the highest value in Scala is greater than its material assets.

The print shop refused to print because it is a trademarked logo.

1 Like

Maybe scalacenter needs to bless one printer or etsy account.

I’d like a t-shirt with two scala logos forming six-pack abs.

I would order two and send one for Dr Odersky to wear at his next Scala Days keynote.

I can’t imagine that the shop is worried about copyright infringement for one T-shirt, but they must have a zero-tolerance policy. For the few dollars they will make on it, they probably figure it’s not worth the (negligible) risk.