Scala 3 release date

When is Scala 3 expected to be released? I googled for it, but all I see on it is old material from a year or two ago.

Also, how reliable and stable is Dotty at this point? If I try to convert some of my code, will I have to spend a lot of time dealing with compiler bugs and/or revising my code as concepts evolve? Thanks.

In his talk about it at Scala Love the other week, Martin said that he’s still hoping for release by the end of this year. There’s a great deal to do before then – personally, I’ve been assuming we’d have a release candidate by then – but it’s plausible if things go well.

A little hard to say. From what I’m seeing (as an observer, not a member of the team), it looks like folks are still hitting some occasional bugs, and some things are still changing, but more at the power-feature level than the core of the stuff one would typically use. Most of it has gotten at least an initial thumbs-up from the committee, so it’s starting to settle down.

My general impression is that starting to convert application code is probably reasonable, converting ordinary libraries should probably be prepared for a bit of churn, and converting really powerful meta-programming-y stuff should be done with an understanding that there’s still some flux happening at the edges.

The biggest open question right now is probably the optional-braces thing. Martin is very passionate about it, so I would say it’s fairly likely to go in, but it’s probably the riskiest broadly-applicable feature to count on quite yet.

4 Likes

There is also the blog post “Scala 2 Roadmap Update: the Road to Scala 3” from December. It also mentions a release candidate for the end of the year. But of course the Sala Love talk is more recent.

1 Like