CLOS constructors

@tyohDeveloper, I don’t completely understand your proposal, but I echo your frustration about constructors being handled differently than other methods. In CLOS, the constructor is just a method. responsible for populating the content of a newly allocated (or newly changed-class) object. I’ve always found it bizarre that languages like C++ (and I assume also Java) make a special concept call constructor with special rules, but don’t allow the same flexibility to other methods.

The result in Scala (and C++ etc) is that there is some rule for multiple inheritance, but it is too complicated and scary for people to use. So people avoid it. I can’t count the times people have told me, to avoid multiple inheritance because of the diamond problem. It’s as if the problem doesn’t even exist in CLOS.

I recently encountered this in Scala, and was surprised at the results. I wanted to write a toString method which wrapped the previously available toString functionality for a particular type. What I found was that it is really not possible, for a reason more complicated that I was able to understand.

That’s unfortunate :frowning:

This is the norm for object-oriented languages – for better or worse, CLOS is the outlier here.

That’s odd – it certainly works in the general case. What were you trying to do?

In Scala, every class has one and only one primary constructor. All other constructors are auxiliary constructors that call the primary constructor. This allows Scala to fuse the definitions of the class and the primary constructor, which usually saves a lot of boilerplate.

Without this fusion, you would write a class something like this (not legal Scala):

class User {

** val name: String**

** val id: Int**

** val dir: String**

** def User(name: String, id: Int) {**

** this.name = name**

** this.id = id**

** dir = “/user/home/” + name**

** }**

}

Fusing class definition and primary constructor definition allows you to write this as:

class User(val name: String, val id: Int) {

** val dir = “/user/home/” + name**

}

Or, as a case class:

case class User(name: String, id: Int) {

** val dir = “/user/home/” + name**

}

The well-known limitation is that only the primary constructor can call a super-class constructor, and therefore only one super-class constructor can be called per class. I also ran into this when I wanted to extend (Runtime-)Exception. If you really want to call more than one super-class constructors, you would need to create two sub-classes (which may, if that helps, extend some common trait).

if you find yourself in this situation, see In Scala, how can I subclass a Java class with multiple constructors? - Stack Overflow

I agree that it has become normal in the statistical sense, but it is fundamentally broken in my opinion. I shouldn’t have to know which classes my superclass inherits from, or which classes in the class precedence list define which methods in order simply to call the method.

@jducoeur, I also find that it seems to work in the simple case. But as I understand, this is only an illusion, and in fact it does not work in the most general case. If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to know it. Can you explain what super means?

This question was discussed in another post, and the result I came to (perhaps I misunderstood) was that because Scala class lineraization does not guarantee that the topological constraints be maintained, you cannot depend on the semantics of super.

I’m not sure I understand the question. It means what it sounds like – call this function in my immediate super-type. The formal definition is here, but I’m not sure that’s what you’re looking for.

On a technical level I kind of get where you’re coming from here, but honestly – in 11 years of working in Scala, I’ve never actually experienced this as a problem, nor heard of it being one. I’m not sure if the difference is that you expect to do much more complex inheritance than is typical in Scala or something, but I’ve never actually seen this come up as an issue in practice.

1 Like

Linearization rules should be seen as a way for the compiler to handle more cases, not as something people should rely on.

In general, if your type inherits multiple implementations of the same method, that’s a red flag that the implementations are too high up in the type hierarchy or that inheritance has been overused.

If it happens anyway, you should provide your own implementation, even if it is just a forward to a super implementation, which you invoke by explicitly stating the supertype ( super[TheSupertype].method).

e.g.

trait A { def greet: Unit }

trait B extends A { override def greet: Unit = println(“Hello!”) }

trait C extends A with B { override def greet: Unit = println(“Hi”) }

trait D extends C with B { override def greet: Unit = println(“Yo!”) }

class E extends C with A

class F extends E with C with D { override def greet: Unit = super[D].greet }

For the most part I agree. Scala’s special treatment of constructors, and primary constructors in particular make the problem much worse. Using vals (finals in Java) make it problematic in the simple case. Particularly when wrapping Java classes, all Exceptions being the most irritating.

In general, I believe, all nominally structural members should be “def” in traits and abstract classes. The implementations can then use vals or override the def.

If I use val message=“” in a vase constructor, it creates a new structural item rather than reuse the message instance variable from the Exception class. I can’t use the null constructor or the message constructor of the super class. There is no way to avoid hiding the structural member of the superclass. The semantics can’t be represented.

Using a call-next pattern and treating both methods and constructors as functions rather than weak methods and weaker constructors would solve this problem. The simple, weaker case of being able to call “super” methods/constructors of the extends would solve the greatest irritation w/o changing the semantics of scala too much (or have a high implementation cost).

CLOS has the around, before, primary, and after function pattern built into the language itself. That addresses 90% of the problem w/o complicating the design too much. I don’t suggest adding that to scala. Treating constructors and methods as functions would be a v4 change. Doing it in dotty would be too drastic. Even adding super for the direct inheritance chain would be possible in 3.1+ without too much effort. I think. Any change to the language needs that much research to jump to conclusion.

For the non-structural problem, higher level functions and monads can solve most of the issue without changes to the language. There are lots of issues with the structural issue that can’t be addressed.

Thanks for the reference, that really helps. Here is how I understand the formal definition. super does not really have a meaning. Only super.m has a meaning. And it means method m in the next most specific superclass which defines the method, but with the restriction that that can be determined statically. I.e., super IS NOT the super class, but rather super.m is the next most specific statically determined method. And the syntax super.t has an analogous meaning in the case t is a type rather than a method.

That’s how I understand the description. However, I don’t understand the designation least proper supertype. What is a proper supertype, and how does such differ from any other genre of supertypes?

@curoli, I’m not sure how to interpret this statement. There seem to be two philosophies held by different people. 1) depend that the language work as specified, vs 2) don’t use elegant features.
In my opinion, a feature is added to a language so that programmers should use it.

Also you comment that

What (respectfully) bothers me about this comment is that it might not by MY class—I’d like to inherit from a class without having to understand how it is implemented. I should not have to reimplement features already implemented in the class I’m inheriting from. And conversely, when I implement a class, I should do so in a way that other applications can inherit from it and it will work according to its documentation.

That all sounds correct to me.

I don’t think this is correct – I don’t think super.t means anything in this sense. (But please keep in mind that I’m at the edge of my expertise here.) What I get from reading the spec (which I hadn’t known about at all – I don’t know if I’ve ever seen it used in the wild) is that super[T].m means that you want to call the definition of m on the specific ancestor type T.

Honestly, I’m not sure. You can find the definition in here, but it’s a tad opaque. The spec is definitive, but sometimes (in the name of being precise) makes up jargon that is not otherwise in common use.

1 Like

I second you claim that the definition is opaque.

The least proper supertype of a template is the class type or compound type consisting of all its parent class types.

Keep in mind, at least some of us don’t think of linearization as a feature per se – rather, I think of it as simply a rule to tame diamond inheritance. I mean, the problem of diamond inheritance is non-determinism: not being able to predict which supertype is being called under some circumstances. Linearization makes that explicit and deterministic – which is lovely, but I think of it more as a bugfix than a feature.

That makes sense, but I’m not clear on how it is different from the current state of things. What would you like to be able to do that doesn’t work as you would expect?

@jducoeur, that’s an excellent question. Actually, I don’t have an example. I was afraid to use super.m and expect the same semantics as CL call-next-method. But according to the discussion, it seems to be intended to work the same way as I expect. My hesitation came from discussion I had earlier saying WARNING don’t depend on multiple inheritance or linearization.

In CLOS linearization is indeed seen as a dependable feature, and its consequences and limitations are all understood and accepted by most intermediate and advanced programmers, so much so that nobody even cares about or mentions the diamond problem. Moreover, the CLOS metaobject protocol, allows users to create a subclass of standard-object which overrides the class linearization method on a per-application basis.

Since in CL, there is no concept of final class or final method, this causes programmers who implement libraries to be very conscious to allow classes to still work when people extend them.

Another part of my hesitation of using super.m was because of comments in this post. Which led me to believe that delegating to the next method was a bad idea, and I should refactor my code when I discover a need for it, and for example use composition a chain-of-responsibility pattern rather than inheritance.

Nevertheless, since it seems super.m works as expected, perhaps I should embrace it and just start using it, and see what happens.

Ah – that was either mis-stated or exaggerated. While I’ve found OO approaches to be slightly limited (compared to the FP typeclass-focused style), and have gradually backed off to using them more modestly myself, they’re generally well-defined and consistent in Scala, and have been for a long time.

Hmm – not sure I grok the use case, but okay…

That’s a definite difference. While final can sometimes be a bit controversial, it’s used in a fair number of libraries to indicate that this class or member is not designed to be extensible.

Yeah, that sounds reasonable…

1 Like

A class A is one of its own supertypes. A proper supertype of A is a supertype of A that is not A itself.

The terminology comes from set theory, because types are essentially sets of possible instances.

1 Like

Yes! that makes perfect sense.

Yes, CLOS has no methods. There is a pattern that fills the same purpose as constructors. But there are only functions. It might help to understand ancient history.

Classes were just lists with a fixed structure. All instance of the class the same set of lists, with different CDR.* Classes normally used the same (eq) lists unless the element was different than the class definition. Instances just had an eq link to the class object at the top of the list structure. A constant reference for every instance. Classes had a List of types/classes/mix-ins at the same place. There is very little difference between a class and an instance. When the instance had many of default instance it used the class’s list structure.

Anonymous super/mix-in classes are possible. As everything is a list, the links have a guaranteed linearity. The class itself is a type. -T are no different than +T.

Structural inheritance is having the same list structure(s).

Functions are a list. There really isn’t a difference between a data list and a function list. The functions are just executed rather than data.

By the time of The Little Lisper with objects added, functions could be affected by the make-specializable function. That changed the definition of the function. The function would execute the type (named or anonymous) specific function based on it’s parameter’s type.

Modern CLOS systems have optimized the entire implementation, not everything is as simple as the Little Lisper interpreter. Think of it as Hotspot for classes & instances along with functions.

Classes can have +T or -T or more complex composition. The class definition is static, structural. Functions are pattern matched/specialized based on a class. The class itself may be anonymous. In all cases, the classes are pre-linearized. The function is specialized. The class itself doesn’t own the function. The function controls its own specialization. Call-next is owned by the function.

The closest thing to methods are just functions that expect the class to be part of the parameter. In this, one doesn’t know details about the implementation of the classes and other functions. One know and can depend on the semantics of the other functions. In Java, the need is caused by needing the implementation, but not knowing the implementation.

In a proper type system, +T and -T calculus can not be guaranteed to halt. In CLOS, the operations are on physical data structures. In that, -T isn’t really supported. [or wasn’t, things might have changed]. The result of type calculus is really applying a function on the type representation. It’s possible to construct a function that doesn’t halt, in practice it’s not possible to create a function given the combination rules.

It is more possible that the function create a pattern match that doesn’t halt. In general, the developer’s mind will implode before that kind of pattern matching problem will blow up the compiler or run-time system.

To make it short

1. There are only functions
  2. Constructors are functions that manipulate the creation of the data structure of an instance.
  3. Structural inheritance is owned by the class.
  4. Function pattern matching is owned by the function itself. Both the function and the class matched may be anonymous.
  5. -T will destroy the developer’s mind before it will realistically destroy the compiler. The downside is -T isn’t really supported.

A) Changing the schematics of scala to hand the same general case would be very difficult and require a lot of hard analysis to define.
B) The primary need in scala is from needing the implementation’s behavior, but not having it.
C) Limiting it to the direct extends would require less thinking and much less implementation (I think).

• All lists were made of Tupple2. CDR being the ._2. CAR is ._1. Head/tail might make more sense to people.

I think you’re incorrect – this is a pretty serious change to the language (inheritance is much more fundamental to Scala than to Common Lisp), and I suspect it would break a considerable amount of existing code.

But seriously: if you want to push this, the right place is the Contributors forum, not this one – that’s where language-change proposals get seriously discussed. It’s where the folks who actually manage the Scala language mostly hang out, and they’d have a far more informed opinion…