Can we have an official Scala discord server

I know this is a losing battle, but :-1:. I continue to frequently find answers to problems via the public chat archives, a resource that withers with these migrations to Discord. Or I recently had a general functional programming question, and found the answer in the Haskell community, while Scala has fully retreated into a walled garden. We are locking away the collective wisdom of the community, and the natural outreach it brings, for a few extra sparkles in the chat app du jour. All at a time the Matrix experience has improved considerably!

I argued bitterly against the Typelevel one, and this battle looks lost as well. Please at least keep the Matrix integration bot, because none of my other communities are on Discord, and I donā€™t want to run yet another chat app to stay in touch.

6 Likes

I second this. I really worry about the lack of discoverability in the Discord chats.

2 Likes

For the record, I share the discoverability concern, and I put that in the list of cons.
That said, I think there are so many pros that itā€™s still the best alternative: the clients are modern and work across the range (at least on web, desktop, iOS, the devices I use), the moderation tools are best in class, including the automated ones, itā€™s actively maintained by a profitable company, and - already cited - many communities already moved there and you pay the signup price once

I know weā€™ve had this discussion before, but just to get it in the record, itā€™s far more than that. Discord functions very differently from Gitter in ways which foster community discoverability and interaction. This isnā€™t just an opinion, itā€™s been born out in hundreds of thousands of communities across innumerable topics.

Even if you donā€™t buy the ā€œDiscord works better for the usersā€ argument though, the mere fact that it has moderation tools which work is reason enough for any community to switch. Even banning doesnā€™t work correctly on Gitter (you can just delete and recreate your account to bypass any ban or moderator action, which has been demonstrated in the Scala channels several times in the past). It doesnā€™t have gradient roles. It doesnā€™t even have a slow mode or other ā€œtable stakesā€ type tools for putting out fires. Discord has all of this, and given the communities it was originally built for (and continues to serve), itā€™s safe to say those tools are dramatically more battle-hardened than literally any other system in existence.

Discord vs Matrix is the only question that even bears examination here, since Gitter is simply not a tenable tool for any modern community on moderation grounds alone. Matrix is quite good, but itā€™s also very immature, lacks (and probably will always lack) a lot of the tooling that Discord has built up around it, suffers from the same discoverability problem as Gitter, and still has the walled-garden issue of Discord. The fact that Matrix is federated in theory doesnā€™t make it any more federated in practice than XMPP was (or is), and we all know how that saga ended.

Yes, it sucks that Discord is not indexed by Google. It is quite nice though that itā€™s indexed at all (Discordā€™s search is incredibly good), which is something that Matrix and Slack still canā€™t seem to get right. And at the end of the day, the concern of locking off community content behind a walled garden is only a meaningful concern if there exists community content to lock off, which is to say, an active community producing said content. Discord demonstrably fosters this better than other systems, and thatā€™s reason enough to use it.

1 Like

The fact that Matrix is federated in theory doesnā€™t make it any more federated in practice than XMPP was (or is), and we all know how that saga ended.

Iā€™m following four communities across three protocols using the Matrix client, including the Discord under discussion, so Iā€™d say federation is working just fine. I canā€™t stop this train, so Iā€™m requesting that the bridge remain supported to lower the barrier to participation.

2 Likes

Iā€™m very in favor of retaining any and all bridges.

1 Like

For the record (I have been told that this thread is ā€œthe recordā€), I like Discord less than Gitter, and I donā€™t think the fragmentation matters as long as which one to go first is clearly indicated from the web site. Having a hardly-used Gitter site hasnā€™t seemed to harm the Rust community at all. If it were up to me, Iā€™d leave Gitter up until the only things posting there were tumbleweeds.

But I also donā€™t think it matters all that much, so Iā€™ll grudgingly go along with whatever.

2 Likes

re: Rexā€™s suggestion, I actually wouldnā€™t mind leaving scala/scala Gitter around indefinitely. Kind of like how #scala IRC still exists (on Libera, these days), but we often refer people to the more populated platforms if their question doesnā€™t get answered on IRC.

Itā€™s scala/contributors and scala/job-board that Iā€™m rather more interested in actually shutting down, in order to avoid fragmentation and reduce moderator effort.

1 Like

Has anyobdy tried bridging a Discord directly into the rooms on the *:gitter.im home server rather than *:matrix.org? It could unify the old with the new. Itā€™s the same protocol as the existing bridge, so it probably works. Discord communication from that point forward would be public, but thatā€™s a positive thing as long as itā€™s communicated.

A while ago, Before Matrix took over gitter, I did try bridging matrix to gitter to discord on another community server and it worked fine so It can be done, it just needs someone with admin rights to all platforms.

Funny enough at the time users didnā€™t like it as people who were only in the gitter chat when other discord channels were mentioned would get confused as they didnā€™t realize everything bridged.

Until this feature is implemented, bridging to gitter.im would require admins on all three platforms, which is not practical.

Matrix users can hide bridged Discord users, but Discord users canā€™t block bridged Matrix users. This is a significant safety concern for users on the Discord side where there is a bridge.

These are the dark ages of chat.

I have just submitted a PR which makes the changeover on the Scala website:

2 Likes

Changeover PR merged.

For getting to the Scala Discord, the following URL works:

(this is nicer than the old discord.gg URL, I think)

2 Likes

Blog post about all this:

2 Likes